There’s something about summertime that’s just right for making a pie. Just imagine a scrumptious blackberry pie sitting on the window sill, the aroma traveling through the warm air, just inviting you to taste it. Now imagine it being so perfectly portable that you can pop it into your mouth. Your own personal dessert. No utensils needed (but maybe a napkin for catching all those tasty crumbs).
If you’re looking for a fun summertime treat that will be an instant hit, plus something you can make with the kids that will help spark their creativity, then raise your hands for some hand pies!
They’re super easy to make for all your budding pastry chefs, and they make a great addition to your next summer BBQ or 4th of July celebration with family and friends.
This recipe makes 8 small pies.
2 cups Cracker Barrel Biscuit Mix
1/4 cup cold butter, cut into small pieces
4 tablespoon cold water
1 jar Braswell’s® Seedless Blackberry Preserves
1 egg well whipped
4 tablespoon White Sparkling Decorating Sugar, like for decorating desserts
1. Using a pastry blender, your fingers, or a fork, work the cold butter pieces into the dry biscuit mix until well incorporated. Make a well in the center of the mix. Slowly add cold water by tablespoons, stirring as you add to make the dough. Form into a ball.
2. Roll dough out on a lightly floured work surface like you would a pie crust. Cut dough into 4-inch circles using a large biscuit or cookie cutter. (You can also turn a small bowl upside down on the dough and use a small knife to cut out circles.) Gather dough scraps into a ball, roll out and cut out more circles to make 8. Cover and chill dough for 15 minutes.
3. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
4. Working with one dough circle at a time, brush the outside edge with egg wash, dollop approximately 1 tablespoon Blackberry Jam in the center, and fold the dough over the filling. Gently press edges with a fork to seal. Use the fork to make a few holes in the top of each pie. Brush with egg wash. Sprinkle with white sparkling decorating sugar. Place on a prepared baking sheet pan. Repeat with all dough until you have 8 little filled hand pies.
5. Bake for 20 minutes or until pies are a light golden brown and puffy. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes before serving.
These work great for the next day as well. The perfect grab n’ go snack for summertime fun.
For more great recipes, check out here and make sure you’re signed up for our emails to stay updated on all things Cracker Barrel for great summertime specials and offers.
One thought on “Blackberry Jam Hand Pies from Cracker Barrel”
Yum…..I think I need to make these!! Again….