Ah, summer! Pool parties, backyard BBQs, sunshine, and fresh air. Reconnecting with family and friends – finally! Here’s your chance to show off all those mad cooking skills you mastered during quarantine with exciting new dishes and flavor combinations for your friends.
Summer is also a great time to find all your favorite fruits and veggies, back in season, and ready to enjoy—one of the most popular being summer squash.
Squash may not be as popular as its cousin, Zucchini, but it still packs a flavorful punch and has lots of possibilities, whether that’s on the grill, in a casserole, or even as a pie! A pie? (Yes, you read that right.)
Even for those selective eaters that may turn up their nose on yellow squash, here’s your chance to really surprise them with a savory and delicious twist, using a Cracker Barrel favorite.
Serves 4 to 6 people
Here’s what you’ll need:
1/4 cup butter
1/2 large yellow onion, cut into thin wedges
2 green onions, thinly sliced, divided
2 pounds yellow summer squash cut into 1/4″ slices
Salt and black pepper to taste
1 cup Cracker Barrel Cornbread Mix
1 cup buttermilk
2 large eggs “
3 tablespoons butter melted or olive oil
3/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray a pie pan with cooking spray. (I used a regular pie pan, not a deep dish. TBB)
2. Melt 1/4 cup butter in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add in yellow onion and half the sliced green onions. Cook until onions are tender. Add in summer squash, salt, and pepper. Toss together, reduce heat, and cover the pan. Cook covered for 15 minutes or until the squash has softened.
3. Use a fork to break up large pieces of squash. Continue to cook, uncovered, until most of the liquid in the pan is reduced and thickened. Scrape into the prepared pie pan.
4. Mix together Cracker Barrel Cornbread Mix, buttermilk, eggs, and melted butter. Stir in 1/2 cup shredded cheddar.
5. Let cornbread mixture sit for 10 minutes, then stir together and spoon over the squash filling in the pie pan. Sprinkle top with remaining sliced green onions and 1/4 cup shredded cheddar.
6. Bake for 15-20 minutes until the cornbread is golden brown and puffy. Let stand for 8 minutes before serving.
For more great summertime fun and specials make sure you’re signed up on our email list.